- Results of Worldwide CAD Trends 2016 Survey
- Best Future CAD Growth Opportunities
- 3D Printing – CAD Users Viewpoint
- CAD 3D Modelling, 2D Drafting and Simulation CAE
- Cloud Based CAD, CAM, CAE, PDM, PLM
- PDM and PLM Trends & Growth
- How CAD Decision Makers and Users Value Different Sources of Information
- CAD Users’ Usage of CAM
- CAD Trends in Concurrent Engineering
- CAD Augmented and Virtual Reality Growth Predictions
- BIM Trends (Building Information Modelling)
- Upgrades Increase CAD Productivity
- Current and Future Hardware Usage for CAD
Key Insight: 34% of CAD Users Increased Their Use of CAM Last Year
This post publishes more specific details, including awareness, usage statistics and growth predictions on the Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) trend from the Worldwide CAD Trends 2016 Survey.
The survey results are based on responses from CAD users, Designers, Engineers and Professionals including managers and senior executives.
“Based on feedback, we added CAM as a CAD Trend to the latest annual survey and gained many useful insights as a result – some examples are shared below,” Chris Turner, CEO of Business Advantage Group.
- Future CAM software growth potential is predicted as 17% (from 24% to 28% Usage) this year and 29% (from 24% to 31% Usage) over the next 3-5 years.
- CAM Usage is significantly lower in smaller companies (19%) than in medium companies (28%) or large (26%) companies.
- Overall 56% of CAD users are aware of CAM, 24% currently use it and it ranks 7th out of 15 in Importance across all the trends. Overall rankings are very useful to compare all the trends; however, some trends are mostly relevant to particular industry segments. As expected in CAM, there is significantly higher usage in Manufacturing (34%) than in AEC – Architecture, Engineering & Construction (9%) or other industries.
- Looking at just those that use or plan to use CAM software :
- 34% of them increased their usage of it over the past year, 48% used it about the same amount as the previous year and 4% saw a decrease. This indicates continuing potential to maintain and up-sell current users.
- 70% think it’s “important” (36% think it is “very important” and 34% “quite important”) to have machining instructions automatically generated from 3D CAD models.
- 6 in 10 (61%) want to see “more” (half of them want to see “much more”) software development effort on CAD/CAM integration.
- The most used CAM software products are MasterCAM (20%), NX CAM (14%), InventorCAM (10%), SolidCAM (9%) and CAM for Fusion 360 (8%).
“All this portends well for increased focus on CAM by CAD vendors but please also see our earlier blog post on the 3D Printing Trend which is obviously providing additive manufacturing so is a closely related trend to CAM.”
- Watch this blog for regular updates with more detail on other CAD trends from the 2016 Worldwide CAD Trends Survey.
- Naturally the report is a high level summary of insights gained from the data gathered and this series of blog posts enables us to add further detail but if you are interested in still more detail, such as information on CAM usage or growth predictions by region or industry, give us a call to chat with a research executive about your needs.
- Watch the CAD Trends 2016 webinar and other recorded webinars here.